Saturday, July 18, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince


I personally thought this movie was um, AWESOME. But I'm probably saying this because I've been a fan for years, so any judgement made against anything Harry Potter related is shielded with my unconditional love.
After watching it yesterday, I have to admit, while it prevailed in some scenes, it also lacked in others. The last scene in particular with Dumbledore in the cave; while I was reading it in the book, I imagined a more dark and intense scene and a longer one at that. Sir Michael Gambon, the man who plays Albus Dumbledore, portrays his character with a little more energy then the one I see in the books. As for his character; for a 150+ year old, he sure acts like a 100 year old, if you know what I'm saying. It's not that I'm saying he's a bad actor, but I imagined him to be more frail - especially in that scene. In fact, I felt his character was not put into the film enough. His role in the book is huge, so it was a bit of an anticlimax towards the end.
That aside, I love Ron I love how they've introduced more love interests and conflicts. lol Only because it's so effing cute. However, the concentration of that theme seemed to overpower the impact of the film itself. I shouldn't be complaining because I'm a sucker for these things, but it did need a little more action (the fighting kind).
Overall, I still think it was a great movie. It delivered entertainment and was relatively faithful to the book. I think at times I forgot I was in the cinema, so that's gotta be a huge plus. At first I was critical towards the bad reviews it got, but I understood where they were coming from. For any type of book-to-film adaptation, it's always better if you've read the book first. Otherwise there's more of a chance you'll go off track and not understand it completely. I would give it a bajillion stars if I could, but that's my overprotectiveness talking.

A Man for All Seasons wise
It was a beautiful theatrical experience. The actors were enthusiastic and performed very professionally. Costumes were amaaazingggg and I quite envy whoever was in charge for that. The only problem was that the dim lighting combined with Bolt's hard-to-analyze-dialogue made me very sleepy throughout the whole play. I also got a little nervous as the actors would occasionally look into the distance, which would ultimately be the audience coz that's where they were facing. In one scene I became paranoid that they were looking at me and I felt so awkward I just did anything to avoid their eyes. I think I stared at the ceiling for a while, and then afterwards, I felt bad because if they were really looking at me, they'd think "she probably finds the ceiling more interesting than my acting skills" which is entirely false! So if any of the actors are reading this, I apologise for being an ungrateful spectator, and tell me who you're costume designer is so I can worship their epicness.

3 comments:

  1. LOl thats funny i felt the same way about amas. LOL, i was so conscious of staying alert the whole time or otherwise im scared they'd be offended! LOL i agree it was a really good performance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Harry Potter :)♥
    I agree with the comment on 'Dumbledore'. It annoys me how energetic he is and he didn't have a great presence in this film. Boo!

    but yes, woooooo harry potter is life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe I didn't read the book but I could follow the movie just fine :D

    ReplyDelete